Foundation Learning (Entry Level and Level 1)
Foundation Learning is an individual education or training programme at Entry Level and Level 1 that you would do at school, college or with a training provider.
If you are not yet ready to move on up to Level 2 (Level 2 is the same level as GCSEs at grades A* - C) then Foundation Learning is the best next step for you.
Not sure what the levels mean? Have a look at this chart to see how the levels work together
During your final year of school you will have an interview with your Careers Adviser (used to be called a Personal Adviser) to help you plan for the next few years. Your plans will be written down by your Careers Adviser in a Moving Forward Plan. This Moving Forward Plan, with your permission, will be sent to any colleges or training providers you have applied for. Your plan will include details of any extra help and support you may need - this will help the college or training provider, you move on to, to make your plans work for you.
Your next step college or training provider – or your school if you are staying on at school, will help you to pick a mixture of qualifications and activities, such as work experience, to help you move forward.
As part of Foundation Learning you will learn:
- Practical skills in English, maths and information and communication technology (ICT) - also called functional skills
- The skills you need to live more independently, organise yourself and to work with other people
- About subjects that will help you in your future. You can do new subjects as well as carrying on studying some of those they do now
What qualifications will I get?
Your school, college or training provider will help you to choose from a range of qualifications at this level.
- National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) at level 1
- Entry Level BTEC Certificates, Awards and Diplomas and BTEC Level 1 Certificates, Awards and Diplomas
To see how the different parts of foundation learning work together take a look at this chart.
What can Foundation Learning lead to?
At entry level Foundation Learning can lead to level one learning and training options
At level 1 Foundation Learning can lead to level two learning and training options such as GCSEs